Potato and mushroom soup is another Czech classic. This simple but flavoursome soup is perfect for late summer and autumn, which is the usual time to go mushroom picking in Central Europe.
Feel free to use any variety of mushrooms that you’ll find – chestnut mushrooms, wild or porcini mushrooms will do it justice.
You can use fresh, frozen or dried mushrooms.
If using dried mushrooms, soak them in cold water for at least 1 hour before cooking.
This recipe is vegetarian, but you can easily make it vegan by swapping the cream for a plant-based alternative.
Made this recipe? Share your picture on Instagram and tag @markieskitchencom & use the hashtag #markieskitchencom so I can see it!
📖 The Recipe
Creamy potato and mushroom soup
- 250 g fresh or frozen chestnut mushrooms OR wild mushrooms, porcini etc
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 kg washed and peeled potatoes
- 1.5 l vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 3 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only)
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup double light cream or vegan plant-based cream alternative
- fresh or dried parsley for serving
- Wash and slice the mushrooms, and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Cut the potatoes into small dices. Boil them in the vegetable stock until soft (the smaller, the quicker they will cook).
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and turn on medium-high heat. When hot enough, add the onion and garlic and fry until soft and glossy.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, season with thyme and black pepper, stir and leave to set. The mushrooms will get a crispier texture if you don’t shake them during cooking.
- When the potatoes are cooked, take the stockpot from the hob and place on heatproof surface. Do not drain them.
- Prepare your stick blender and blend the potatoes in the vegetable stock until completely smooth. The soup will get creamy and thick.
- Place the soup back on the hob, turn on medium-high heat, add the cream and stir. Leave to cook for about 5 mins. If it gets too thick, add a little bit of boiling water.
- Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic mixture to the soup, stir well, garnish with parsley and serve. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information (Estimates Only)
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post.
Leave a Comment