This beetroot chicken traybake is a wonderful autumnal dish. It is rich on flavours and colours. Let me tell you more about this easy and delicious recipe!
What do you need to make this beetroot chicken traybake?
I am using free-range chicken thighs in this recipe. Chicken thighs are juicy and meaty parts of chicken legs. They cook fast and are ideal for traybakes like this.
Beetroot is a beautiful root vegetable, which is just in season. It grows well during colder and shorter days which we typically get in autumn (fall).
Beetroot has got plenty of health benefits and is a perfect addition for everyone who wants to improve their diet. It can be cooked, baked, minced... You name it, beetroot is good for it! Check out this recipe for borscht to find out how amazingly versatile this root vegetable is.
Carrots are a source of vitamin A amongst other important nutrients. Remember to use fresh carrots in this dish, as frozen ones would be too soggy and too soft after baking.
Chunks of onion add a bit of sweetness to the meal. Use either red or brown onion, both will work well.
A wedge of lemon will bring some acidity (sourness) to the dish. Half of an unwaxed lemon is enough for one baking tray.
Herbs such as thyme and rosemary give this dish a wonderful fragrance.
Black pepper and salt are also used for seasoning.
Finally, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and honey creates a delicious glaze on this bake.
Can you swap any of the ingredients in this chicken and beetroot bake?
Yes, you can get creative when cooking this chicken and beetroot bake! Make the most of what you have in your pantry and fridge.
Feel free to swap cooked beetroots for uncooked ones. Although remember that the cooked ones will need only 30mins of baking! Add them halfway through cooking the rest of the traybake, so that everything cooks well, the chicken is tender and the veg slightly crunchy on top.
Use fresh parsnips or sweet potatoes instead of carrots.
The recipe will also work with chicken legs or drumsticks - please use whatever you have on hand! Again, adjust the cooking times accordingly - add/reduce minutes where needed.
What to serve with this chicken and beets bake?
This chicken and beets bake goes very well with mashed potato and boiled potatoes.
And if you fancy something slightly different, try it with a flatbread!
How to store this beetroot chicken bake?
This beetroot and chicken bake will keep fresh in your fridge for up to 2 days.
After cooking, let it cool down completely, cover with an aluminium foil and place in the fridge. Reheat fully before serving; pre-heat the oven to 180C, and bake for 30mins (covered).
This traybake is not suitable for freezing.
📖 The Recipe
Beetroot Chicken Traybake
- 1 kg free-range chicken thighs, skin-on
- 500 g uncooked beetroot
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ unwaxed lemon
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, or leaves from 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Prepare the root vegetables. Wash the beetroots. Cut off their roots and any leaves/stalks. Cut into wedges. Wash the carrots, cut off both ends and cut the carrots into chunks.
- Peel the onions and cut them into wedges (quarters).
- Carefully squash the cloves of garlic (using the flat side of a knife).
- Place all veg onto a deep roasting tray.
- Add chicken thighs (skin-side down). Season with salt and black pepper from both sides. Wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
- Add a half lemon, sprinkle with rosemary and thyme leaves. Add 150ml of water.
- Drizzle over the veg and chicken with olive oil and honey.
- Put in the oven for 1h 30mins. Turn the chicken halfway through. Pour over some of the juices from the veg and chicken and place back into the oven.
- Cooked beetroots for uncooked ones. Cooked beets only need 30mins of cooking. Add them towards the end of the cooking time;
- Parsnips or sweet potatoes instead of carrots;
- Chicken legs or drumsticks - adjust cooking time accordingly!