Here is probably my most popular cake recipe: traybake with fruit. The recipe is super easy and requires only basic ingredients, which usually are in every kitchen cupboard & freezer. It is ideal for last-minute baking!
Traybake with fruit
- baking tray 30x40 cm
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
- ¼ cup lukewarm milk (40C)
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup sunflower or vegetable oil
- 300 g fresh or frozen fruit of your choice ie. blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blackcurrant or forest fruit mix
- Preheat the oven to 175C/165C fan.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Add the milk, and slowly add the flour, while mixing thoroughly.
- Add the oil and mix it with the dough until smooth and completely absorbed.
- Prepare the baking tray by putting down a sheet of baking paper.
- Pour the dough on the baking paper and push it towards the corners, so it's spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the fruit on top, as evenly as possible, so it is in one layer.
- Put in the oven and bake for 35-45 mins or until golden from top and fully baked (test it with a skewer, if it comes out clean, it means the cake is baked through).
- Leave to cool down on a cooling rack, cut into portions, and enjoy!