Looking for a healthy breakfast or snack? This homemade granola with pecans and maple syrup may be the answer for you! It's super easy and ready in 30 minutes!
Why is homemade granola better?
Like with any other meal, when you are making your own cereals, you have got full control of what goes into it. Which means it can be a lot less calorific.
Shop-bought cereals often contain a high amount of added sugar and fat. When you make them at home, you know that they contain only quality ingredients in balanced proportions.
What do you need to make granola with pecans and maple syrup at home?
There are various recipes for granola, but the base is usually the same: oats, fat and sweetener, nuts and fruit.
Granola gives us a lot of space to be creative. There are so many possible variations! And so I offer a substitute of every element of the recipe - that way you can make your own original breakfast!
In this recipe, I am using porridge oats. Feel free to use old-fashioned (rolled) oats instead. Add about 5 more minutes to the baking process.
I also use extra virgin olive oil, as I prefer it for its healthy benefits (it contains very little saturated fats). You can swap it for any cooking oil of your choice.
To sweeten this crispy snack, I add maple syrup. Honey will be a great alternative here. They both are healthier than refined sugar.
I love pecan nuts, so my choice was obvious, however, this granola will be just as tasty with walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds!
Pumpkin seeds go well to pecans, but sunflower or linseeds will work here well too.
Dried or candied fruit makes a fantastic addition to this crispy mix. I am using raisins, but you can substitute for dried apricots, cranberries, apples, candied oranges.
Granola (crispy baked muesli) is easy to make
Following the steps in the recipe below, it only takes about half an hour to bake this crispy baked muesli.
Keep an eye on its color in the oven, as it can burn easily. Take it out of the oven when it's golden or slightly brown.
If adding chocolate chips or coconut flakes, always add them to the finished product (after baking!).
Serve with yogurt or milk and some fresh fruit!
Prefer to have something quick and easy & eat it on the go? Try my recipe for Oreo overnight oats!
If you are looking for more breakfast recipes, make sure to try also this Czech semolina porridge.
How to store homemade granola?
This batch makes about 15 servings.
Leave it to cool down completely before packaging.
It will keep fresh in an airtight container in your pantry (cupboard) for up to two weeks.
You can also freeze homemade granola. Once it cooled down, place it in an airtight container or small plastic bag, seal and store in your freezer for a couple of months.
Defrost at room temperature at least 30 mins before consuming.
Made this recipe? Share your picture on Instagram and tag @markieskitchencom & use the hashtag #markieskitchencom so I can see it!
📖 The Recipe
Homemade granola with pecans and maple syrup (Crispy baked müesli)
- 3 cups porridge oats or old-fashioned/rolled oats
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ⅔ cup pecan nuts
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup raisins or sultanas
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or coconut flakes
- Prheat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Mix olive oil and maple syrup (or honey if using) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add oats, cinnamon and salt. Stir thoroughly until everything is coated in the oil and syrup (honey).
- Lay down parchment paper on a baking tray, so that it covers its bottom and sides.
- Pour the coated oats on the baking tray with greaseproof paper. Spread the oats evenly over the tray. Press down on the oats, so that they stick together.
- Check the oven is hot. Place in the oven and bake for 15 mins.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with pecan nuts, pumpkin seeds and raisins. Toss and spread evenly on the baking tray.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 mins or until slightly golden on top.
- Take out, leave to cool down completely, mix in the chocolate chips or coconut flakes if using.
- Serve with yogurt or milk.
- Store in an airtight container.
This looks wonderful!
Thanks so much! It's so delicious too! 🙂
Homemade granola is by far the way to go! Check mine out, if you like variety.