Hello! How are you doing all? Tonight the clock moves back and I'm quite looking forward to the long evenings. I find them nice, especially at the beginning of the winter time, around Halloween and Bonfire Night, when everything feels a bit spooky!
And what more to wish for than a comforting meal after being outside in the cold for a few hours?
This sausage casserole has got it all!
It's tasty, fragrant, hearty and really easy to make.
The main ingredient in this dish are sausages. I am using pork ones with apples, but plain pork, chicken or plant based sausages will work here too.
Root vegetables such as potatoes and carrots give this dish a hearty texture. Feel free to use any type of potatoes that normally cooks well on hob, as you'll be braising them in the oven.
Apples add an extra bit of sweetness and crunchiness to his meal, therefore choose type that will cook well and stay firm at the same time. Braeburn, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious or Jonagold apples are well-suited for this recipe.
The flavours of this casserole come together thanks to the sauce made of mustard and stock. I have used pork stock, but you can use any that you prefer or have on hand.
This meal can be served as it is or with a slice of bread.
Finally, it can also be kept in the freezer in an airtight food container. Do not add the apples in the sauce before freezing, but cook them just before serving. Consume within 2 months.
More Halloween Recipes
- Chocolate candy apples
- Pumpkin soup with carrot
- Pizza with butternut squash and goats cheese
- Sausage casserole with pearl barley (crockpot recipe)
📖 The Recipe
Sausage casserole recipe with apples
- 8 good quality pork sausages, preferably with apples
- 5 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 onions, cut into quarters
- 2 apples, cored and sliced
- 500 ml stock made of 1 stock cube
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 handful fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- black pepper
- 4 slices rustic-style or sourdough bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Prepare the vegetables: Scrub the potatoes, peel carrots and onion, cut into chunks and add to a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- Add the sausages on top. Add mustard and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Pour over the stock, cover with a lid and place in the oven for 40mins.
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan and set to medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the sliced apples. Fry on both sides for 2-3mins or until brown. Set aside.
- Mix plain flour in a little bit of cold water and stir until smooth, this will be used to thicken the sauce.
- Take out the casserole, uncover, check the seasoning and add a pinch of salt and pepper if needed. Carefully stir in the flour and water mixture. Add the apples on top. Put it back in the oven for about 10mins (uncovered).
- Check if the vegetables are cooked and if the sausages are browned on top, add a couple more minutes if needed.
- Serve in a bowl and enjoy!