Good evening! Tonight, I'm bringing you a simple creamy bacon, mushroom and pea pasta recipe which is again made with ingredients that can be usually found in each store cupboard, fridge or freezer.
I made this meal a few weeks ago. Originally, I was planning to cook risotto, but then I realised that we had no risotto rice. We did have a good amount of pasta though, so I went forward with it. And what a great dinner we had that night!
In my opinion, this is a great example of how some ingredients are useful and versatile. Make a swap where you can (different cheese, pasta type, cream, greens etc), and it still will be a delicious and nutritious meal for the whole family.
📖 The Recipe
Creamy bacon, mushroom and pea pasta
- 400 g spaghetti
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into dices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 250 g cleaned and sliced chestnut mushrooms, or 90g dried mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 170 g frozen pea
- 1 cup single cream
- 50 g Grana Padano cheese
- salt, black pepper, to taste
- Boil water in a large stockpot and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and set aside.
- Whilst the pasta is being cooked, fry diced bacon in a large frying pan on medium-high heat for about 3-5 mins, until slightly caramelised. When cooked, set it aside.
- Using the same pan: Add olive oil. When hot, throw in the onion and fry until soft and glossy. Add the mushrooms, season with thyme and toss well. Leave to cook for about 7 mins.
- Add the frozen pea to the pan and cook thoroughly for about 2 mins. Once the pea is soft, add the cooked bacon and pour over the cream. Stir and cook on medium heat for 3 mins. Season with black pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta into the sauce, toss and serve with grated cheese on top.
- Enjoy as is or with a light tomato salad on the side.