Hello! Today, I'm here with a recipe for pasta with roasted peppers and tomato sauce. This pasta dish is an easy meat-free dinner, which contains classic pantry ingredients!
I have been cooking this delicious meal since last year and have tweaked the recipe so that it's super simple and requires minimum cooking whilst achieving great results. This dish is perfect in the middle of a week, and will make a nice and light lunch too!
What do you need to make this pasta with roasted pepper and tomato sauce?
As you can tell from the name of the dish, the heart of this pasta sauce are roasted peppers and chopped tomatoes.
I am using jarred roasted (chargrilled) peppers, which are great because they are packed with the delicious flavour from roasting (grilling), and so I can easily skip this step. Look for them in the Italian/Greek/Mediterranean food section of your supermarket.
Chopped tomatoes provide the sauce with juices and a delicate tomato taste. Choose a tin that is more on the sweet side (less acidic) to get the best result.
The sauce is based on sautéed onion and garlic. It's seasoned with basil, oregano and parsley.
I like to serve this pasta meal with crumbles of light mozzarella (buffalo mozzarella) and drizzled with chili oil. The latter is, of course, optional. Feel free to use olive oil if you prefer a mild taste.
Can you swap any of the ingredients?
You can swap several ingredients in this recipe.
Firstly, if you have got fresh peppers that you would like to cook, feel free to do so! Red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers are best for this purpose. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan. Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and cut them into inch-wide chunks. Place on a baking tray, drizzle lightly with olive oil and place in the preheated oven for 30 mins. Take out and add to cooking later.
Secondly, fresh tomatoes can be used here too. You will need 6-8 bigger salad tomatoes to make up for the 400g tin of chopped tomatoes.
Thirdly, fresh herbs will work in this recipe as well. Use them instead of dried ones. You can also combine dried and fresh herbs - make the most of what you have on hand!
Also, I use wholemeal spaghetti in this recipe. Any wholemeal or classic pasta of all possible shapes and sizes will be great in this dish. Always follow instructions on the packet of pasta when cooking.
Finally, if you're vegan, use vegan pasta and vegan stretchy cheese alternative instead of buffalo mozzarella.
How to store this pasta with roasted pepper and tomato sauce?
Keep this spaghetti with roasted peppers and tomato sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days (without cheese). Reheat before serving and sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese, freshly chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
You can also freeze this pasta dish. Combine the pasta and sauce, add a drizzle of olive oil, toss and leave it to cool down completely. Place in an airtight and freezer-safe food container and store in the freezer for up to two months. Defrost fully and reheat before serving.
Pasta with roasted pepper and tomato sauce
- 400 g wholemeal pasta spaghetti, penne, fussili etc
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 480 g jar roast (chargrilled) peppers
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2x block light buffalo mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt, black pepper to taste
For serving (optional)
- chili-infused oil or olive oil
- Fill a stockpot with water, add a generous pinch of salt, cover and bring to boil.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to instructions on the packet. Drain, saving some of the starchy water for the sauce. Set aside.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce: In a large frying pan or skillet, add 3tbsp of olive oil and set the heat to medium-high. When the oil is hot, add onion and saute for about 3-5mins or until soft and glossy. Add garlic and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Season with oregano, basil and parsley. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut the roasted peppers into smaller chunks. Add to the sauce. Toss and cook for 5 more minutes. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if needed.
- Stir in the cooked pasta. Toss everything together. Add some of the starchy water from the pasta. Cook for 1-2minutes.
- Sprinkle with crumbles of light buffalo mozzarella. Add a drizzle of chili-infused or olive oil. Decorate with freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately.
- jarred roasted peppers for 4 bell peppers (this adds on 30mins to the total cooking time)
- Red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers are best for this purpose. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and cut them into inch-wide chunks.
- Place on a baking tray, drizzle lightly with olive oil and place in the preheated oven for 30 mins. Take out and add to cooking later.
- 1x400g can chopped tomatoes for 6-8 fresh salad tomatoes (chopped)
- dried herbs for fresh herbs
- any type and shape of pasta will go well with the sauce
- light buffalo mozzarella for vegan stretchy cheese alternative
Nutritional Information (Estimate Only)
This post was originally published on 21 April 2020 and updated on 27 April 2021 for better user experience.