This is a super easy 5-ingredient recipe for homemade garlic bread with sliced bread. It takes only 10 minutes to make and can be prepared in an oven or an air fryer. Serve it with a creamy tomato soup, pasta, pizza, or as a starter - it will be the star of any bread basket or charcuterie platter!
Why To Love This Homemade Garlic Bread
There are several reasons to simply fall in love with this recipe:
- It is very easy and takes only 10 minutes to make.
- You have control over how garlicky it is - add as little or as much garlic as you like!
- It is great for using up leftovers - got some stale bread at home? Old, stale bread is just perfect for this recipe!
- This recipe works with any type of bread - sourdough, ciabatta, baguette, or even sliced toast bread.
- This homemade garlic bread can be prepared in advance and freezes well.
Are you looking for more fun and easy appetizers? Try this prosciutto bruschetta, sundried tomato tapenade, smoked salmon and broccoli quiche or homemade gyro pita bread.
As mentioned previously, this recipe contains only 5 essential pantry ingredients:
- Sliced bread - Italian or French-style loaves of bread work the best, however, you can use regular sliced toast bread too. Choose one with thicker slices if you can. Stale (1-2 days old) bread is the most suitable for this recipe. This recipe works with white, brown, or even seeded bread - use what you have on hand.
- Garlic - this mighty vegetable is famous for its health benefits: it helps boost your immune system, has anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and anti-carcinogenic properties, contains antioxidants, and helps reduce hypertension. To make most of these fantastic superpowers, it is generally recommended to eat garlic raw or to add it just toward the end of the cooking process. In this recipe, you will bake it only for a few minutes.
- Unsalted butter is the base of the garlic butter for this recipe. Use unsalted one to make sure the garlic bread isn't too salty. Add only a pinch of salt to the garlic and herb spread to bring its flavors to life.
- Fresh parsley will add a boost of flavour and color, and also vitamins and minerals. Parsley is a source of calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, and vitamins C, B1, B3, B6, B9, A, E, and vitamin K. This popular Mediterranean herb has anti-diuretic properties, helps support your immune system, vision and eye health, is rich on antioxidants, and promotes bone health amongst other great health benefits.
Substitutes & Variations
Another thing that you will like about this recipe is that it is fairly versatile. Here are some ideas if you missing any of the above ingredients:
- Use flatbread, pita bread, rolls, or buns instead of sliced bread.
- Fresh garlic cloves can be swapped for garlic powder, frozen chopped garlic, or garlic paste.
- Feel free to use margarine (vegetable spread) instead of butter. This swap makes the recipe less calorific and veggie-friendly.
- Fresh or dried coriander (cilantro), chives, oregano, rosemary, or basil will work in this garlic bread recipe.
Make this garlic bread extra special by adding a cheesy topping - grated Cheddar, Edam, Parmesan, or mozzarella cheese will turn this garlic bread to a super yummy starter.
How To Make This Homemade Garlic Bread with Sliced Bread
You can make this easy and delicious garlic bread at home in 4 simple steps:
- Prepare the garlic butter - in a food processor, blender or by hand.
- Spread the garlic butter onto the sliced bread.
- Bake until golden.
- Serve hot or cold.
Details instructions including measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to bring this sliced garlic bread with herbs to perfection?
- Remember to preheat the oven or air fryer to the recommended temperature, the result will be very crispy and delicious.
- Keep an eye on the oven (air fryer) to make sure the garlic bread doesn't burn. You will know it's ready when all of the butter has melted and the edges of the bread start to appear golden or lightly brown. If your oven bakes unevenly, turn the tray half-way through the baking time.
- Got some garlic butter left over? Place it in an ice cube tray, and freeze for 3-4 hours. When it becomes solid, transport it into a plastic bag and keep it frozen until you need it. You can use it later to make more garlic bread, or as a topping on fish, chicken and steaks.
Storage & Reheating
This recipe is ideal for making ahead. Below are instructions on how to keep this garlic bread as fresh as possible.
In The Fridge
This homemade sliced garlic bread will keep in the refridgerator for up to 2 days - wrap it in aluminium foil or store in an airtight food container and reheat when ready to server it.
For best results, freeze this garlic bread once it cools down to room temperature. Wrap it in a plastic bag or put it in a freezer-safe food container and freeze for 3 up to 6 months.
Reheating (From Chilled & Frozen)
Preheat the oven (air fryer) to 200C/180C/390F. Place the sliced garlic bread in an aluminum foil (buttered side up), wrap it loosely but ensuring the wrap is airtight.
Put in the middle of the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes if reheating from chilled, and for 12-17 minutes if reheating from frozen.
Do not reheat it again.
It is possible to reheat garlic bread in a microwave however, this method will make the garlic bread to go hard and rubbery more quickly than when it is reheated in the oven.
What To Serve Garlic Bread With
This super tasty garlic bread goes well with a bowl of soup - it will be a great addition to a creamy tomato soup, lentil soup, potato and mushroom soup or pumpkin soup.
It can be also served with pizza or pasta. Try it with lasagne bolognese, juicy meatballs in tomato sauce, or with creamed spinach and salmon pasta.
Homemade garlic bread will keep for 3 up to 6 months in the freezer. To prevent frost bites, make sure it is stored in an airtight food container or a plastic bag with minimum air.
Combine softened butter with crushed garlic and finely chopped parsley. Spread this garlic butter generously on a slice of bread, and bake it in the oven, under a grill or in the airfryer until golden.
Parsley, chives, basil, oregano, rosemary, or coriander (cilantro) are all great as a topping for garlic bread. Mix it with butter and crushed garlic before spreading onto a slice of bread, and bake it.
📖 The Recipe
Homemade Garlic Bread with Sliced Bread
- 4 slices sourdough or toast bread
- 110 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 2-3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 handful fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 g hard cheese Cheddar, Edam, mozzarella, Parmesan or similar
Step 1: Preheat the oven, grill, or air fryer to 200C/390F.
Step 2: Make Garlic Butter
- Cut the butter into dices and put it into a blender (food processor), add roughly chopped parsley, garlic cloves, and season with salt.
- Close the blender and whizz until all of the ingredients are combined and the texture is smooth. Repeat the blending process if needed.
- If you don't have a blender: crush the garlic and stir it into the softened butter. Chop the parsley finely before adding to the mix. Create a paste and combine all of the ingredients using a fork.
Step 3: Spread the garlic butter on the sliced bread.
Step 4: Bake for 4-6 minutes or until golden.
Leave to rest for 1 minute. Cut into strips if needed. Serve hot or cold on its own or with soup, pizza, or pasta.
- Flatbread, pita bread, rolls, or buns instead of sliced bread.
- Garlic powder (½ tsp), frozen chopped garlic (1tsp), or garlic paste (1tsp).
- Margarine (vegetable spread) instead of butter.
- Use fresh or dried coriander (cilantro), chives, oregano, rosemary, or basil.
Leave a Comment